Why choose this course?
I recently built APIs for image classification and reverse image search using deep learning libraries. Through the process, I gained an understanding of how images work as a data structure, and how to apply machine learning on them to build useful data products.
Nonetheless, there was a yearning to get a more in-depth understanding of the fundamentals of working with images. In addition, there are plenty of other useful applications for image and video, and the course seemed to provide a broad overview.
What specific CV applications were covered?
The class covered several CV algorithms, and how to apply them to solve simple problems, including:
- Detecting lines and circles, including counting the total value of currency (Hough)
- Measuring depth from multiple images (Window-based stereo matching)
- Detecting features to match images/stitch a panorama (Harris, SIFT, RANSAC)
- Detecting movements of objects across multiple images (Optical flow)
- Tracking movements of subjects in videos (Particle filters)
- Classifying motion in videos (Motion history images)